Sunday, January 29, 2012

More frankens!

Ohh dear what a busy week I had last week!

I finally got our guest bedroom set up with all of my polish things because I got tired of taking up the BF's man cave and living room.  I bought a desk and put it together all by myself and filled it with frankening supplies and polish related goodies!

The boyfriend and I also decided to start volunteering for the Make a Wish foundation, so we had a (long) meeting for that, too.  He did it in Ohio and asked if I'd like to do it with him here and I said sure because who doesn't need to do something nice for others sometimes?

Then I had guests come down and visit this weekend!  My nails have been BARE for like 5 days.  Ugh!  And I broke two...sad story.

Anywho, I thought I'd show you guys the rest of the frankens I made for my first "collection" I'm calling Transition Metals.  Because...they're named after transition metals (I = nerd).  I'm super excited for this because I've been making frankens for a while and I love it!  I was hoping to get to the point where I can sell them on Etsy or something, but I'm not sure what reaction I will get.

I mean, I can't be the only nerdy nail-polish enthusiast who will be as excited as I am about elemental names, haha.  So here's the next couple I've made.

First up: Fool's Gold




I wish I had painted my nails with this on a day it was sunny!  This is three coats of Fool's Gold in artificial lighting and I just couldn't capture the vibrant gold glitter that's in this polish!  It's a metallic gold based polish with various sized gold and holographic gold glitters!  I'm not into golds, usually, but this is one of my favorites.  And it's appropriately named after the 79th element: gold!

Next up: Iron Man-ia




Iron Man-ia is a red jelly based polish that consists of both fine red and gold glitter and large holographic gold hex glitter.  It needs three coats to become opaque, but there's a decent amount of glitter, so if you were using it as a layering polish, one coat would probably do.  Named for iron, the 26th element, and a little bit of comic book nerdiness as well :)

Next up, going a different route other than glitter: Manganese, Please!




Manganese, Please, is a dark teal based polish that has a slight duochrome aspect to it.  In certain light it goes from dark purple to teal to blue, but it's a lot more subtle than Co-Balt of Lightning that I showed you the other day!  It's got a bit of a shimmer to it, but it clings to the ridges in your nail...I think I've got a bit of an iron deficiency and you can really see the vertical ridges in my nails in the second picture.  You can also see where I messed up on my ring finger...but let's not focus too much on that!  I used three coats for this picture.  Manganese is the 25th element. 

Last up is "Can I buy you a Zinc?"




Holos show your ridges very well, too apparently!  Can I Buy You a Zinc? is a dusty green/gray holo.  This is another one I had to do photograph in artificial lighting, but would do better in the sun.  Inside it definitely has a more gray tone to it, but outdoors it's very obviously green.  I was going for a brighter green polish here, but I ended up liking this one a lot anyway!  This one only needs two coats for full opaqueness.  Can I Buy you a Zinc is named after Zinc, the 30th element.

I have one more in this "collection" called Copper-nicus (which I named after copper before I realized one of the obscure elements is called Copernicium, hah!  Oh well), which I haven't got around to swatching yet.  It's a copper looking color on it's own, but it's a red metallic duochrome over black.  Very pretty!  I'll show you guys later :)

So what do you guys think?  I'd like some feedback on these!

I know I've talked a lot in this entry, sorry!  BUT someone last post commented when I asked for help thinking of element-related names that I should post pictures of the polishes I made to better help them think of names.  Welllll, I'm going about it a bit differently.  All of the elements that I knew what colors/finishes I wanted them to have, I've pretty much either made or planned.  Now I'm trying to think of names for the rest first and then plan after, hah.  I don't know if it's a bit backwards or not, but oh well!

I still have the ones I listed in the first franken post I need help with, but here's a few more:

51 - Antimony
34 - Selenium
24 - Chromium
77 - Iridium
74 - Tungsten

Thanks for reading guys, I know this was long!

<3 Whitney